Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"Gold" Friends

While we were in Orlando, we were so blessed to have some Jacksonville friends visit us. It was definitely the highlight of our trip to visit with our dear friends. It made me think of an old song I learned in girl scouts close to 30 years ago...
"Make new friends, but keep the old,
one is silver, and the other gold."
I taught Katherine several years ago when she was in third grade. Her mom Crystal and I became fast friends! They both have such a special place in my heart. Crystal's dad was actually the interim pastor of our church in Jax after we moved. It was so special to know that he was looking after and shepherding our precious church family in our absence.
One of my favorite memories of Katherine was when she told her mom that having Mrs. Calhoun as a teacher is like having a mom at school ~ what a precious thought!
I think that is why I love teaching so much.....because I love being a mommy so much!
The Koenig Clan also joined the fun and met us at Downtown Disney.
We miss them SOOOO much! They were dear friends that we enjoyed hanging out with in Jax.
We goofed off (no pun intended) trying on crazy hats.
Who knows how many heads these hats have been on! Ugh!
I wonder if ANYBODY actually buys these silly things or if everyone just uses them for the photo op like we do.


Micah had some fun with the crazy mirror in the candy shop while we were custom ordering our desserts
This is THE BEST candy shop I have EVER been to! You get to pick out what sugary treat you want and then pick what you want it dipped in and then what candy you want it rolled in!
Have you EVER in ALL your life!?!
I picked a huge Mickey shaped rice crispy treat dipped in white chocolate rolled in Reese's pieces. Mmmmmm!
Makes me hungry just thinking about it now!

Downtown Disney is the next best thing to actually going to Disney World.
Tons of great shops, restaurants, photo ops, and of course Lego Land!
Kerri and I are secretly planning Micah and Madison's wedding in 20 years. We can add this photo to the wedding slide show.


After Downtown Disney and Rain Forest Cafe, we swam at the hotel and enjoyed visiting while floating along the lazy river. The boys bonded by wrestling (of course) and the girlies got into the nail polish.



Another day we were so excited to spend time with the Hasha family. They actually live in the Orlando area now. Gaye and I taught together for several years and our kiddies would play together every afternoon. Mike is in the ministry too and all us minister's families have a unique bond. Gaye is probably one of the wisest people I know. I could sit and listen to her for hours and hours. I dearly miss our daily heart to hearts, but it is so precious to know that distance and time does not change the special bond that we share.
Thank you Hasha's, Mixson's, and Koenig's for making our vacation so EXTRA special!
We love you all heaps and heaps!

1 comment:

  1. Sara, what I find so funny about that picture of you guys with all those crazy hats on is I have a picture of you and some friends from high school doing the same thing back in 1993! Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete