Monday, February 8, 2010

Back Tracking

I'm going to do a little back tracking with my posts for a while. Since the primary purpose of our blog is to serve as our family scrapbook, I wanted to go back to some pictures from the summer that did not get put into the hardcopy scrapbooks that I have kept for the past 13 years.


We'll start at the end of the summer and work backwards until my blogger scrapbook meets up with where my hardcopy scrapbook left off.


We went on a family vacation with some of our best friends to Universal in Orlando.

Kayleigh and Savanna were too precious for words in their matching outfits that they sported throughout the week. Throughout the summer, they had each convinced us moms to buy them matching clothes while we were out and about shopping. When it came time for the trip, they coordinated to make sure they brought their matching sets. Oh, to be ten again!



These kids were really incredible all week! I truly do not remember them having any arguments all week!

Joel and Lana ready to go for a whirl on Universal's version of the teacup ride.

Micah and Benjamin are two peas in a pod

The boys were way pumped to ride The Hulk


Oh how I used to love reading Family Circus when I was a little girl!
DINOLAND!

The girls weren't exactly thrilled about the Jurassic Park dinos, but they loved watching the dinosaur eggs "hatch". They even got to move the dino eggs from incubator to incubator and x-ray them to see what type of dino was inside. Too cute!



Found me a little *bling*




The Dr. Seuss land was AWESOME! I love the way Dr. Seuss thinks and it was so cool to see the books come to life!
Toon Lagoon housed a ton of wet water rides and is themed around the Sunday comics.
There are so many fun photo ops everywhere you look!


I know Disney like the back of my hand, but all this at Universal and Islands of Adventure is so new to me. It was very exciting not knowing what to expect around each corner.

Time to get wet!!!

I have to brag on my man here.


True Confessions: I am the neurotic mom who stuffs every possible thing imaginable into a very crowded backpack for theme park days. I act as if we are going far off into the wilderness without the possibility of finding food, medicine, or additional clothing anywhere else. I never really feel guilty about my weird hoarding problem because I usually happily tote the overstuffed backpack around wherever we go feeling proud and prepared for whatever the day may bring.
The only problem was, I REALLY hurt my shoulder at a water park during our church's Back to School Bash that was just days before we left for vacation. That's another story for another day, but the bottom line is...there was NO WAY I could have toted that big ole backpack around.


Would you believe my super sweet hubs toted that crazy bag around for me all week. I never asked him to, and he never complained (at least not outloud). I just love that man!

I don't really know how they determine which characters are going to be featured at Universal. It is sort of like a hodge podge of every cartoon and major star imaginable! Very unpredicatable without any rhyme or reason. One second we saw Woody Woodpecker and Bullwinkle, then we turned the corner and saw Lucille Ball and Marilyn Monroe ~ very random but way fun!

I am still a big kid at heart and love me some cartoons!

Exhibit A: My Smurf T-shirt

La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la
Strike a pose!


When Micah was about 3 years old, we jokingly called him Curious George. His endless questions and constant curiousity sometimes landed him in some interesting situations.

I'm sure you are all wondering what the story behind this picture is, so let me enlighten you...




We got to the park extra early one day so we could beat the heat and the crowds.
Crazy Joel gets stopped by one of those super obnoxious pollster people with a clipboard that offered to give the children "Universal Bucks" if they would taste test some yogurt and give their opinion. Okay, you can call me rude, but quite frankly, I try REALLY hard not to even make eye contact with those kinds of people in the hope that they will not speak to me. I do not like things that waste my time or make me feel uncomfortable ~ and in my opinion, this qualified for BOTH! Joel, on the other hand, thinks this is the most WONDERFUL thing that has happened to us while we are on vacation. Before I knew it, we were having to fill out a front AND back piece of paper with all kinds of personal information. Then, we had to spend about THIRTY minutes doing this ridiculous task of subjecting our children to tasting yucky yogurt. At the very last second they tell us that Micah does not qualify because you have to be 8-13 years old and he is too young. Well, that sends him into a full blown meltdown because that means he won't get the whopping $3 in "Universal Bucks" and now can't taste the disgusting yogurt!
People, this is NOT a good way to start a day ~ especially a vacation day!


The whole time, all I can think is "I know the lines are getting longer and longer with each tick of the clock!"


When we FINALLY finished the glorious taste testing poll, I was truly ready to MURDER our dear friend! I love him like a brother, but we were about to have us a good ole brother/sister knock down right there.




Can I tell you that the icing on the cake is that once we got home, I found the blessed bucks still in Savanna pants!!! I mean, girlfriend forgot to even spend them! And since they have Betty Boop's picture on them, I'm pretty sure they have no real value and can't be redeemed for real currency anywhere other than Universal.




Micah searched everywhere for the perfect souvenir. Guns or claws were the great debate at the Terminator store.


The girls thought a little *bling bling* was in order for their souvenir.



{I still have too many pics for just one post ~ to be continued tomorrow}

No comments:

Post a Comment