Thursday, March 11, 2010

Race to Win Musical

March is a BIG planning month for me at the church. Trying to schedule, plan, and recruit workers for all of our upcoming summer ministries can be a bit overwhelming to say the least. To help counteract the stress I am already feeling about so much to plan for the summer, I decided to look back at some of the photos from last summer and remind myself why I do what I do. The smiling faces of these precious children remind me of how important it is to give these sweet babies opportunities to learn about and share in God's love while creating life long memories.
We put on several camps at our church each summer. One of my very favorites is the Camp Quarternote ~ Music and Drama Camp. The kids come to camp Monday through Friday and learn the songs, speaking parts, and choreography to an entire play. Then, on Sunday night, they perform it for all of their friends and family. It is a huge undertaking and takes me about 5 months to learn all the songs that the kids learn in less than 5 days! Each year I am biting my nails, worried about whether or not we will be able to 'pull it off'. But each year, the kids totally amaze me and I come to the conclusion that it is TOTALLY worth it in the end!

Last summer, we put on the play "RACE TO WIN". It is a fantastic musical about two race car drivers who are racing in the Freedom 400. Micah's character was obsessed with money and fame and thought he could do anything in his own power. He is humbled and humiliated when his engine explodes. The other race car driver is a strong Christian who offers Hotrod Hansen an extra engine, free of charge, no strings attached. She explains how her offer is similar to the grace we receive through faith in Jesus. Hotrod eventually receives the engine AND the gift of salvation through Jesus Christ. It is a great message and the children did an amazing job presenting it.


Savanna was all smiles as one of my Money Dancers in the song 'Money and Fame'.
Here's my two 'official' children right before the play.
Here's the other 50 'unofficial' children I claim as my own.
This is the most talented group of kiddos you could ever wish for!
Micah and Harmoni were the two race car drivers that competed for the title.


Allison and Haley were the MRO ~ Motor Racing Outreach Team who shared the gospel with Hotrod Hansen.
Samuel was so proud to wave the race flag and get the flag dancers ready to spring into action for the first song.

Mallory, Savanna, Hadley, and Zoe were the "Money and Fame" dancers with a throw back to the 1930's.
Taryn, Alea, Rose, and Ashley did an adorable dance using the steering wheels as props.
Matthew, Evan, Zac, Aaron, and Colby were our mechanics. They loved tinkering around with the real engine that was placed inside Evan's old race car bed!
We even had a smoke machine hidden behind the stage that went off and created a large POOF of smoke when Hotrod's engine exploded!
Wyatt and Tony stole the show with their excited expressions when they got Hotrod Hansen's autograph!
Brandon and Heath were our crash dummies who showed off their gymnastics flips throughout the song "We're Just a Wreck Waiting to Happen". The song preached an awesome message about our natural sin nature, but this was the one song I was so worried that the kids would not learn! The entire cast of kids just sat wide mouthed the first few days of rehearsal. They were in awe of what these two brothers could do with their amazing back flips and handsprings! Fortunately, by the end of the week, they joined in the singing too.



We had our very own boy band of Kindergartners who helped us jam out on "I've Got the Power of God Living in Me"

These were our cheery cheerleaders who rooted for our racers. They were so precious in their pigtails and pompoms.

Morgan, Hannah, and Jenna had big speaking parts as part of the Pit Crew.

Raeleigh, Alexa, and Sarah were Hotrod's Fan Club who had to act like they were mesmerized by Hotrod.

Nick, Brandon, and Taylor were our rappers. Gotta love the god chains, sideways hats, hoodies, and gangsta signs.
Bribes and threats are often my wonderful parenting weapons of choice.
Sad, but true.
Anyway, I had bribed Micah with a true fit hat that he had been wanting for months. We told him if he learned all his lines and did his very best, we would reward him with a new true fit hat from Academy. When we went to pick it up the day after his AMAZING performance, he said "This is like my 'ACADEMY' award....get it, Mom? ACADEMY!"
I don't care who you are, THAT IS FUNNY! Especially coming from a 7 year old!
I couldn't resist and had to get a pic of him under the sign so I could remember his 'funny' for years to come.
I think the Lord sent him to us just so we would laugh more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment