Monday, March 1, 2010

Time to form a Search Party

Well, today's experience totally confirms my theory that the Lord sends us children just to enhance our prayer life.
We had been enjoying a beautiful day at the ball park, when all of a sudden, we realized we had not seen Micah in quite some time.
Now, I am embarassed to admit that we don't always know exactly where he is while we are at the ball park. I know that is TERRIBLE, but you have to understand, we have a very small ball park and we know pretty much everyone there. In fact, most of the people there also worship at our church. So it is what I call a 'safe zone'. You know, one of those places where you totally let your guard down when you really shouldn't. It's kind of like walking away from your purse while at church thinking that 'of course no one would steal at church!' I know I am flawed in my thinking and it is not intentionally the plan to walk away from my purse or let my child wander away, but it just happens because I am not "on guard" in these pseudo 'safe zones'. Before you call Child Protective Services, please understand that I am working on this and today's experience gave me a good wake up call.
~
Once we realized NO ONE had seem Micah or his pals Heath and Brandon we formed a search party of sorts that covered every square inch of the ball park.
STILL NO BOYS.
This is when panic started to set in for me. I mean like for-real panic! I tried to stay calm, but I could feel my heart pumping like crazy and a voice in my head reminded me of all the scary things that could happen to adorable 7 year old boys!!!!
~
One of the teenage girls said she had seen them playing near the woods about 45 minutes earlier. NEAR THE WOODS?!?!
Oh great! The sun was about to go down!
After what seemed like an eternity ~ I know it couldn't have been that long, but it certainly felt like it ~ Brian { the hero of the story } heard faint voices in the woods and was able to find our wayward children.
Oh the joy!
Now, you know, when we make 'bad choices' there is always something that the enemy uses to tempt us. Would you like to know what clever thing it was this time?
A SLIM JIM!
Yep ~ nasty, stinky beef jerky.
How you might ask?
Well it seems as the boys were enjoying a lovely pressed beef snack from the concession stand, one of them thought 'This sure would make for some good fishin' bait.'
The rest is 'all she wrote'.
One thing led to another... they made fishing poles from random sticks, wire, and string that they found. Then they wandered into the woods to find a creek and catch them some fish.
I didn't know if I should hug or spank first....
so instead, I opted for choice 'C' and took a picture.
You know, when you are a blogger, life is just a blog ~ not a blur, but a blog!

3 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about the ballpark. But really I feel like there are more eyes there than I could ever had. And it annoys my Mama so much. But I know the feeling about losing your child, remind me one day to tell you about how I almost called the cops because Bizzy disappeared one day. But I have to say that you are better than I am, they seriously could of called HRS on me after I found her, it is one of those things that you don't know wether to hugs or whip.I personally chose to do both. I did tell the neighbor not to call the cops once I got her in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh girl....I can totally see you all in a panic. I am so thankful that it turned out the way it did...and what a totally logical thing to do...right? The Lord is sweet to give us a wake up call every now and then!

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Something about the ball park woods must be appealing!
    There are many times when I turn around and panic because I can't find one of the 5 children... but it's normally only after about 5 minutes. I am the over protectice mother and Brittanie is always telling me I just need to "Chill out"! Or maybe it's because I am afraid that they are getting into something that they shouldn't be... who knows! ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete