Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Happy 90th Papa!











On Sunday, we had a surprise birthday party for my Papa who turns 90 on Christmas Eve! He also was officially "retiring" from teaching Sunday School after 60 plus years. He started teaching the same Sunday School class when they were the young married couples class. Now, they are all great-grandparents! It is such a unique and special thing that the newspaper even wrote an article about it!
He is so loved and repected by SO many people.

Would you believe that we completely finished off 3 of the 4 cakes?! There were so many people that came to celebrate his life and legacy with us.

Three of my favorite photos of him were displayed on the food table at the reception.


The middle one is a portrait from World War II.

On the right is the photo of him with his Bible that the photographer from the newspaper took.

And "yours truly" took the picture on the left. This is a very casual, candid shot, but it is one of my all time favs! We were eating at Olive Garden and I caught them nestled together like little love birds. I just couldn't resist. It is so natural and sweet. I love pictures that capture relationships and I think this one says it all.

Mom worked so hard getting everything together ~ and I think Papa was truly surprised.


After church, the fam (and a few extra special friends) congregated at Sealand for a delicioso lunch and p0st-party birthday bash. Tyson kept himself entertained and played with a gift card to keep himself occupied until the food came.
Kaylynn played with a cell phone. What high-tech babies we have! Why do we even waste our money on baby toys ~ all they really want is what WE "play" with.
Okay, so you would never in a MILLION years guess what I got Papa for his birthday...
FROGS!!!
I know it sounds completely crazy, but seriously, what do you get a 90 year old??? I have racked my brain for months. He doesn't use electronics, watch movies, need tools or clothes (he's been the same size for like 70 years for heaven's sake!) What to do?

So two weeks ago I walked in Hallmark and found this tiny aquarium cube with two of the cutest frogs (yes~ I think frogs can be cute!) you have ever seen. They are like the lowest maintenance pets you have ever met. You only change the water twice a year and they only have to be fed twice a week. Plus, they come with a years worth of food.
And get this... they live for TWELVE YEARS!


I know it all sounds like the nuttiest idea you've ever heard of, but I knew he would get a kick out of watching them swim around. They really are funny little critters and I have to say we were a little sad to let them go after they have been our "houseguests" for the past couple weeks.


So I got a little inspiration from Dr. Seuss and wrote this silly little poem to introduce Papa to his frogs that I had wrapped in a hat box with a frog on it:




What to get a 90 year old has been the question at hand,
Tools? Clothes? Electronics? or even a Band?


We wanted something symbolic with lots of great meaning,
Ideas to represent the past 90 years are what we've been dreaming.

Through World War II you sang your way through each and every flight,
"God Will Take Care of You" was sung by day and by night.

I remember as a child watching the Godly example you set,
60 years of teaching ~ there is none that have met.

I noticed each day you began breakfast by reading from God's word,
And ended each night by kneeling and lifting your prayers to be heard.

Your faithful prayers have sustained our family for many many years,
They have kept us all safe and dispelled all our fears.

Above all else you've Fully Relied On God in all situations,
Thus the acronym FROG became our great inspiration.

We have confidence our gift will not be duplicated,
and required feedings and care are not complicated.

A bird named Easter, squirrel named Jewel, and a dog named Jess,
Great pets of the past, but all made quite a mess!


"You've all lost your minds" ~ you may be complaining,
But our goal was to give you some fine entertaining.

Now let us introduce your birthday surprise to you...
Clyde and Kermit the frogs ~ yes, not one, but TWO!

Maddox LOVED Papa's new pets!

He kept telling us that he had "shish" (fish) at his house.

Papa got all kinds of cool birthday gifts.

In addition to the frogs, he got a remote control helicopter...
...and a gun shaped lighter!




















The little boys thought Papa had the coolest presents ever. I mean, truly, it was like what an eight year old boy dreams of getting for his birthday! Papa always has been a kid at heart!




Micah's face says it all!

Laugh Out Loud!!!

4 comments:

  1. Awwww.your Granddaddy is so sweet...I loved spending time with him this summer...looks like he had a great celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PLEASE message me on where to get those live-long-change-water-twice-a-year frogs! Dallon LOVES frogs & is having his second frog birthday party 1/9. What better to get him than these frogs?!

    SO impressed with your Grandpa! Wish our boys had that kind of role model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky ~ I got mine at the Hallmark store, but my mom said she saw them at Brookstone too. Good luck frog hunting! They are really the neatest little things and my grandpa LOVES them! He spilt his coffee today because he was laughing so hard at them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture that you took of the "little love birds". I hope that will be Chad and I one day many years from now!

    ReplyDelete