Monday, June 7, 2010

Bible Dedication

Two years ago, the Lord laid on my heart the idea of having a special 5th grade Bible dedication and graduation service. It has become a very meaningful and EMOTIONAL service that we look forward to each year. This year was even more significant since OUR BABY was one of the graduates.
The parents purchase a Bible specifically designed for teenagers and present the Bible to their child as they share some special words of wisdom or Bible verse. The kids start by standing with me~ the Children's Minister, then to their parents, and finally go and stand with Bro. Brad~ our Youth Pastor. It is a very symbolic walk marking this uber important milestone as they move up into the youth group.
When I was preparing to speak to the graduates, I realized there was still so much I wanted to teach them! I started to panic when I realized they weren't "mine" anymore and I couldn't be with them all the time to help them and guide them on their spiritual walk. The Lord spoke to my heart and reminded me of when Jesus was preparing the disciples heart for His ascension into heaven. He told them that He would no longer be with them, but He would send a special Friend and Counselor that would remain with them always. I am increasingly thankful for the Holy Spirit and how He not only serves as our Comfortor and Friend, but speaks to us as our Spiritual Compass and keeps us on the right path of life.
It still got to me during the ceremony and I boo-hoo cried in front of the whole church! Those of you who know me well, know I DO NOT cry 'pretty'! In fact, it is the exact opposite of pretty with lots of mascara and snot running down my face ~ I 've even been known to make a few strange snorting noises too. For the record though, Brian got choked up too ~ in fact, I think every parent on the stage fought tears.
After the service, we had our first Youth Invasion of the summer at the McGahan's home.
Savanna was ecstatic to go to her FIRST Youth Invasion!
I tried to remind her that she has been going to Youth Invasions with us since she was a itty bitty baby, but she said "this was the first OFFICIAL Youth Invasion!"
Got it, sister! :)

The youth had a blast playing beach volleyball, pool, basketball, and just 'hangin out'.
Some of the younger siblings kept themselved entertained with various video games.
I came to KNOW the Lord when I was a child,
but I fell in LOVE with Jesus when I was a teenager.
My hope and prayer for these young people is that they will have the same experience in their youth and fall head over heels in love with Jesus.
"Do not let ANYONE look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity."
I Timothy 4:12

1 comment:

  1. Your post about bible dedication night brought tears to my eyes. YOU ARE NO WAY OUT OF OUR LIFE AND TEACHABILITY TO COLBY OR MYSELF just because Colby is now going into the youth. I must say though for our church's blessing of leadership~ our youth minister has gone above and beyond for our family before our children become youth. His ministry is SO APPRECIATED as he began about 10 months ago directly imacting and supporting my children and myself while my 4th grader was sick. This said ~ You know your chapter in life with my family is NOT over! You are a blessing and welcome to influence my children and me!Love ya sister friend!!!

    ReplyDelete