Sunday, June 6, 2010

Final Walk

Our Elementary School has a wonderful tradition of letting the 5th graders have a special 'walk' on the last day of school. All the parents and teachers line the walkway prepared to clap and scream as they make their final walk to the buses.
As Brian and I were arriving at school, I told him I didn't know why I was so emotional about this ~ it almost seemed like it was marking the end of Savanna's childhood. Don't get me wrong, I am very excited about what the future holds for our girl, but I am feeling very nostalgic at the end of this special season of her life.
The fifth grade teachers came sprinting out first, which was our clue to get our cameras {and tissues} ready.
Savanna, Josh, Austin, and Mitchell were leading the pack and seemed happy as could be which helped me not get so emotional.

At least until I saw the rest of the kids who were bawling their eyes out!
I was not prepared for that!
I knew there would be some Mommies shedding a few tears, but the kids?!
The way our school is zoned, the kids will be going to 3 different middle schools, which means many of them will not be seeing each other.
Since my general rule is that no one is allowed to cry alone in my pressence, I did indeed shed a few tears. After all, I needed to do that in order to keep my title as the president of the crybaby club.
After waving goodbye to all the precious kiddos, this was all that was left to show for our day...
...a lonesome box of tissues as a tribute to our 'final walk'.

It didn't take long to cheer up though!
Nothing like ending the year with a pool party for all your closest friends!
Thank you Becky, for thinking of such a great idea and allowing your home to be invaded by a pack of 'almost' middle-school girls. You are one brave Mama!

2 comments:

  1. It's hard for me too to think that she is going to MIDDLE SCHOOL!!! I remember when she was born...coming to see you all on Christmas Eve. Wow...was that forever ago or what!?!

    Love and miss you bunches and bunches and bunches more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of the walk!

    ReplyDelete