Tuesday, January 12, 2010

College Friends

Sixteen years ago, we were a part of a wonderful group of believers in the Baptist Student Union at our college. I will forever be grateful for the friendships that I made during that time of my life in BSU (not to mention, I met the hubs there too!). They challenged me in my walk with the Lord and I went through a spiritual "growth spurt" during that time in my life. The Lord has been so sweet to call so many of us from that group to serve Him in full time ministry. Consequently, geography has separated most of us, but we all still keep in touch and try to get together whenever we can.


A few of us got together Saturday night for what was supposed to be a simple dinner and playdate. It didn't take long before the conversation got deeper and sweeter. Pretty soon, once again as expected, they challenged me in my own walk with the Lord.
I love having friends that you can be open and vulnerable with and know that they will love you and encourage you regardless of all your "warts and bruises."
A friend told me the other day:
"The only 'normal' friends any of us have, are the ones we don't know very well."

Karen and Cheree ~ please don't think that I am saying you are not normal
(although, clearly, none of us are!)
I'm just saying I love it that we can share all the good, bad, and ugly, and love each other even more. Thank you for sharing what the Lord is doing in your hearts and lives. I felt like we had stepped back in time ~ except for the munchkins that were running underfoot!

While the girls were having our heart to heart, the big boys bonded by watching football...

while the little boys bonded by PLAYING football.



Actually ~ I think the football was just an excuse to wrestle. After I took the football away, the running, rolling, and tackling continued.



Stella-Bella is such a funny and entertaining baby! She is the miracle baby that Brian and Cheree were blessed with last year. We partnered with them in prayer for YEARS asking that the Lord would give them a child. When He brought them Sawyer, through adoption, we all thought that was going to be it...they would adopt all their children.
BOY WERE WE WRONG!
Cheree was probably the most surprised of all to announce her pregnancy!
We had to get a picture with Sawyer and his dolphin. He had to babysit his class pet, Danny the Dolphin, all weekend and take pictures wherever he goes.

Friends are friends forever, if the Lord's the Lord of them!
Amen

4 comments:

  1. OK...you can thank me later...but I have passed a "Blogger Award" on to you. Check my blog to see what you need to do...IF you want, and have time. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such a sweet time this weekend! We had SO much fun and like you said, it is so nice to just pick up where we left off--no matter how much time passes! It's wonderful to be able to be real and transparent--yes, how we know we're true friends! the little ones had a ball too--thank your big girl for caring for my baby! Hope you guys will head our way next!! love to all--the moores

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll never believe this, but I went to elementary school with Cheree she was Pace back then. I remember having many slumber parties at her house when we were little-like from 2nd - 5th grade. We lost touch because we had to go to different middle schools and just recently found each other on FB. She is such a special person! What a small world huh?

    ReplyDelete