Monday, January 18, 2010

Golden Girls Party

A few weeks ago a friend of mine invited me to a Golden Girls Party where you bring your broken and unwanted gold jewelry to sell. Honestly, I really did not want to go. I simply don't have much gold jewelry to speak of and what I do have, I want to keep. But my friend convinced me to dig and plunder through my jewelry box. I did find a VERY SMALL amount of chains that were tangled beyond repair, lone earrings, and such ~ but it was probably only the amount that would fit on a dinner spoon.
I left for the party assuring Brian that I would be home in 20 minutes. For one thing, I am not a big fan of home parties and second of all, I was sort of concerned that my "gold" wasn't really gold at all. I simply can not tell the difference between fake and real ~ which then begs the question..."Why do we EVER buy real if the fake looks so good?"
Well....when I got to the party, I was SHOCKED when the golden girls chick gave me a check for $199!!! I mean, I can not begin to tell you what a tiny amount of jewelry I brought. I ended up staying at the party for 2 1/2 hours because I was having so much fun watching everyone's reactions. I felt like we were on a game show winning money!
As a matter of fact, it was so much fun, that I decided to host our very own gold party. We typically never host home parties because of Brian's position being what it is, he is fearful that people might feel obligated to come or buy something since he is the preacher. But this party is WAY different because you walk away with money!!!
Friday night we had our party and my mother-in-law, Joy, was one of the first ones to get her jewelry weighed and measured. I wish I had gotten my camera ready in time to catch her doing her happy dance when she was told she would get a check for $410!!!
Two of my friends went home with checks for $860 and $717!!! Most of the checks were around $200. It was such as fun time listening to crazy stories about where the jewelry came from ~ old boyfriends, ex-husbands, etc... The best part of the night though was when one of my girlfriends put a necklace out that we all truly thought was fake. She almost didn't put it out at all. Turns out...it was REAL!!! And it weighed in at $260! Cha-ching!
Savanna's bestie, Kayleigh, even went digging in her own jewelry box and went home with a little moolah for herself.

Okay now, it even gets better. If you host a party, you get 10 percent of whatever is sold for yourself and 2 1/2 percent for a charity of your choice. So, at the end of the night, I ended up with an $84 check for our church and a $334 check for yours truly!
So far, I have also had 3 people tell me that they are going to host a gold party themselves. Would you believe that whenever they host their party, I will also get another $50 for each party when they mention my name as their reference.

My goal in hosting the party was to have a few laughs with friends while hopefully earning enough money to buy a few canvas wraps of the pictures that Amanda took for us. So far, I have gotten the exact amount that I needed. God is SO good!

If you are interested in hosting your very own Golden Girls Party, you can find a representative in your area at http://www.golddoesgood.com/. My friend has done the research and assures me you won't find a company that will give you more for your gold than this one. Don't forget to mention my name as your reference though! :o)

1 comment:

  1. Girl...I am so going to check this out...I used to work in a jewelry store...and I have a TON of stuff I never wear...hummmm...thanks for the tip!

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete