Thursday, April 29, 2010

Bat Girl

You will never in a million years believe what happened to me the other night.
The children and I were coming home after ball practice by ourselves. This is unusual in and of itself because typically Brian is always there with us to PROTECT us! He had a meeting so we were flying solo.
Well, as Savanna and I crossed the threshold of the doorway, a BAT swooped INSIDE the house with us!
Holy Guacamole! I was so scared and since I handle things like this oh so well ~ I went to screaming and running in circles like a mad woman. I frantically searched for something to capture or kill the bat with. My weapon of choice was a broom. So here I am chasing the dumb bat around the house swatting and screaming.
After about 5 minutes of this, I suddenly realized that Micah was still outside. When I went to open the door for him, I lost sight of the blasted bat!
OH GREAT! Now he's not confined to one room! I had to search the entire house for the silly thing. As I am running and screaming with my broom in hand, suddenly Savanna shouts
"Wait, Mom, where is your camera? This would make a really good blog post!"
For real?
She was totally serious!
I explained we were NOT taking any pictures!
This was serious ~ there is a dangerous, possibly rabid creature loose in our home!
After searching EVERYWHERE and still couln't find it, we fled to my bedroom and closed the door to hide from the bat until Brian came home to rescue us. I tried to quote all kinds of good scripture about how God has not given us a spirit of fear, but the enitre time I just kept thinking that I would never be able to sleep with that THING in our house!
The moment Brian walked in the door, he knew something was wrong and shouted out "What in the world is going on in here?"
I yelled back from behind the closed bedroom door
"How did you know?"
He said, "Your keys are in the door and there is a broom on the kitchen counter!"
Still yelling, I scream "Baby, there is a BAT loose in our house!!!"
He springs into action and is the hero I knew he would be. It took him a good 30 minutes to find the darn bat, but he did indeed find it and capture it.
The only problem was.... it wasn't a bat at all.
It was a MOTH!
I know! I can't believe I am such a dork!
But in my defense, it was the biggest, scariest moth I have ever seen!
(I know I am way over using exclamation points, but if I were telling you this story in person, I would be screaming and waving my hands REALLY fast as I spoke to make sure you understood how very serious and scary this seemed at the time. As a matter of fact, I screamed so much that night, I was actually hoarse for the next 3 days.)

After Brian got the bat ~ ahem ~ moth out of the house, we broke out the camera.

Now I realize that it doesn't actually resemble a bat,
but you have to admit that is one humongous moth!
So thankful for my knight in shining armor that rescued me from the killer moth.
P.S. Why do I think butterflies are beautiful, but moths are gross and scary?

5 comments:

  1. Oh, how I wish I could have been a fly (or a moth) on the wall....that is hysterical! And for the record, I think that moth might be on steroids.

    I love you...and I can so see you running around like a crazy woman! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LITERALLY LAUGHED OUT LOUD FOR A LONG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my goodness. Seriously, we get bats in our church, which is new by the way! They love big buildings like churches, auditoriums, etc. About a month ago our Associate Pastor was here by himself and walked out of his office to see one sitting on a chair in the reception area, which just happens to be where MY DESK IS!!!!!!!!!! I would have FREAKED OUT! *sigh* Ok, it was a huge moth. I'm sharing this blog on FB because I got quite the laugh and that, well, that just felt good. :) Love you crazy friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! And I found out that it's illegal to kill bats in FL! Crazy huh? You're supposed to catch & release. Yeah, WHATEVER! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean yours was a huge moth, ours was really a bat! YIKES

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara I can soooo picture you reenacting this very dramatically. I love and miss you guys!! Love Amy Byrd

    ReplyDelete